Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ommegang Adoration

Had an Ommegang Adoration last night. Certainly my favorite Ommegang I've had. I have come full circle on X-mas beers this year and now REALLY like them generally, especially the belgian ones. This was a solid B+ ... not worth the money probably and a little over-spiced, even for a Christmas beer. Or, not necessarily OVER-spiced, but incorrectly spiced. The wrong ones were a little overpowering, and the ones I wanted to taste were too subtle. Still, generally enjoyable (and potent).

In other news, the Coffee Grounds has a new and very dangerous shelf, apropos of my recent declaration in the comments from Barry's post: They now have craft Bourbons. The main problem here is that while you can get a bottle of the best beers in the world for 10 dollars or so, nearly every bottle of good bourbon was in the $30 to $60+ range. I restrained myself and didn't get one, but felt myself trying to justify it with thoughts like: "Sure, it's 3 times as much as a bomber of something, but it should last more than 3 times as long, right?" Thoughts here? There is a $28 10 yr aged one that has a 98 rating card on it from the bourbon equivalent of rate beer ("bourbon aficionado" or something along those lines) which I think I will probably get next time I'm in there. Is this starting myself down a path I should resist?

2 comments:

피터 said...

Go for it! A bottle usually lasts me about 6 weeks. On the other hand bourbon is the brownest of the brown liquors.

I like Four Roses.

Barry said...

These are waters that I too have been tempted to tread. Once to bourbon, I fear crack would follow.