Monday, August 3, 2009

Superterrific Happy Hour in China

Back from China. There was a varied selection of mostly Belgians at the market near my friend Matt's house. We grilled lunch and sampled a few. By far the best beer deal in China (Beijing anyway, but probably all over) is Tsingtao, which you have probably all tried. Standard green bottle beer. Good for the summer heat.

First up, Green IPA. Not hoppy. Barf-inducing British style IPA.


I vaguely remember Leute Bokbier tasting like a malty Bock. Not my style. Note bottle cap.


Next, a boozy Tripel.


This Bornem Tripel was excellent. Very crispy and hoppy / citrusy. Strong but without any detectable alcohol. Okay, maybe a little alcohol.


Doubel ≤ Tripel. Way cool bottle.



Later in the evening we brewed a Belgian Sour. That was cool. The secondary fermentation lasts 12 months!

In the meantime I also got a couple of job offers: Penn State (another one year contract, which I turned down) and KIAS (postdoc, no teaching and in Seoul, which I am reluctantly considering). Did not get the job at NYU. Not sure what my next move will be. Thinking fond thoughts of Madison.

5 comments:

Carey said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the NYU job, I had been hoping that you would. Why are you are reluctant on the KIAS job? We miss you terribly and will probably have lots of beers in your honor this weekend.

Chris Ferguson said...

Seoul is too far away. Our house is huge...you should come move in.

Barry said...

Agreed.

Time to bite the bullet and return to Wisconsin.

피터 said...

If I go, I might make a visit up North first. How's the beer supply?

Chris Ferguson said...

After this case and the next case, there's only one case left.