Thursday, May 7, 2009

A hop study for homebrew day



No homebrews available, but I thought I'd try to learn a little more about hop varieties in honor of the day


Simcoe: piney, grassy, smooth & creamy, not very bitter. Tons of lacing. One of my favorite IPA's

Warrior: a little more bitter, a little more of a salt and pepper type taste...reminds me of the Yazoo hop project with a little less garlicy-pepper vibe. A bit of a soapy aftertaste. I think I prefer Simcoe, but I like the salty/spiciness of this. I wonder if these are the hops used in Knot Stock?

I guess I can probably look it up, but anyone know of any other beers that are good examples of particular hop varieties?

4 comments:

Barry said...

Well,

Founder's Centennial IPA is all Centennial...shocking.

Ale Asylum Ballistic is an exercise in Amarillo.

Most IPA'S are a mix, but these are two examples if you're looking for a single hop example.

milwaukeeclassic said...

Amarillo is my favorite usually...thus my love of Ballistic and most Tyranena IPAs.

milwaukeeclassic said...

Knot Stock uses Northern Brewer hops

Barry said...

I believe Alpha King is all Cascade