Monday, February 1, 2010

Stout tasting lineup

Stout tasting list from Friday night at the Coffee Grounds: (in the order of their list...I had them basically in reverse order of this, going for the big hitters early before they ran out)

Moylan's Dragoon
Beamish
T'Hofbrouwerijke Hofblues X2 Chocolate
Well's & Youngs Stout
Left Hand Milk Stout
Bell's Double Cream
Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout
Anderson Valley Barney Flat's Oatmeal
Sand Creek Oscar's Oatmeal
Furthermore 3 ft deep
Bell's Rye stout
Rogue Shakespeare
Rogue Chocolate
Brooklyn Stout
North Coast Raspy
Bear Republic Big Bear Black
Central Waters Satin Solstice
Viking Big Swede
Stone IRS
Left hand 2007 Oak Imperial
Bell's Expedition
Oskar Blues 10-fidy
Victory Storm King
Alesmith Speedway
Deschutes Abyss
Bell's Cherry
Central Waters Coffee
Founders Breakfast
Southern Tier Jahva
Terrapin Wake-n-bake
Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel
Goose Bourbon County
Dogfish World Wide

Overall...pretty decent list. My highlights were Speedway and Peche Mortel which is a total coffee bomb. Wake-n-bake was kind of disappointing ... it seemed a little thin and weak. I wish I could have had a little more of it though than the tiny pour I got. Not sure it got a fair shot, cause I think I tried it after either the world wide or possibly the raspy, which makes anything seem a little weak.

I also got the two new Central Waters on the way out, and really like both of them. I haven't noticed the carbonation bothering me as much as it did Barry. Drinking a Peruvian Morning right now and tasting a lot of vanilla.

Unfortunately, the next tasting in March or April is going to be Wheats, but it may also include half Lambics and sours which would be cool. They are really improving on selection in the months since I got here. It's still not Madison-quality, but is pretty good for a neighborhood store now.

4 comments:

Barry said...

Nice....and well done on reserving some Nemesis and 9000. Save me some?

Also, how was the Abyss?

피터 said...

That's a lot of stout. Welcome to the Speedway club.

KV said...

I really liked the Viking Big Swede. It had a different sort of flavor that we couldn't put our fingers on, and so we attributed it to malts or something.

KV said...

Oh, and I can't believe you took the time to type up this list. Hopefully you did it on a full-sized keyboard rather than your iphone.