Monday, December 1, 2008

Another Mega-post


I'm way behind again: Here's a quick summary of what I've had, in addition to what Pete mentioned.

1) 3 Floyds Broo-doo. Another fresh hop beer, with a troll on the front. This wasn't the best of the harvest beers I've had, but was one of the better Floyd's offerings I've had lately. I'll give it a strong B

2) Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. This was good, but not amazing. Relative to some of the other bourbon beers I've been having lately, this doesn't justify the high price, although it is very good. A little more harsh and less smooth than some of the others. On a related note, is anyone else's fancy turning to big stouts as the weather gets cold? I'm not in much of an IPA mood, and am craving big, dark, caramel, bourbon, winter beers. This fit the bill...It's an A- for me, but the minus is probably for the price. ($19 4 pack)

3) Left Hand Rye Bock. I've been having a lot of Bocks lately too, which tend to be very hit or miss for me. This was a hit. I liked the rye, which was very prominent. Like eating a deli sandwich. Solid. B+

4) Barley Island Single White Friar. Let's see... take my least favorite brewery, have them make a "pro-am" beer, and while you're at it, make it Belgian which seems hard enough to do right even if you know what you're doing. I'll let you guess the results. If you guessed "horrible, undrinkable, gross" or any similar synonym, you win a prize. The prize: what's left of this beer, which is the bulk of the glass. Mental note: just because a glass has wax on it doesn't make it good. Grade: F


I'll continue in a new post...this is getting long

2 comments:

Barry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barry said...

I'm feeling rather stouty too.

Founder's Breakfast is delicious.