Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sundays in the Neighborhood with Beer


I'd been holed up at home for a couple of days with a cold until I finally ventured back out into the neighborhood this afternoon.  So first stop was a hidden place just aside the back gate called Bean Story.   I could read the menu without any trouble and managed to make my order in Korean which prompted a few curious questions.  I stumbled through it; I wish I could understand spoken Korean.

I hate it on blogs when they make you click to keep reading.  Let's have a vote in the comments section to see what everyone else thinks, shan't we?

The coffee must have been strong at Bean Story, because afterward I felt like putting away the math and exploring the neighborhood.  My intention was to walk long enough to get myself lost, but being awesome and all, that didn't happen.  I did find the "pancake alley" a friend told me about.   From there I crossed through a narrow ill-lit alley beneath the train station and made my way toward the back gate of Kyunghee University.  Somewhat surprisingly I passed an E-Mart (think of walmart) and picked up a few German beers.

First up:  5,0 Original.  5,0 Original adheres to the Reinheidtsgebot, comes in a bitchin' red can and is really cheap (W1500 / 500ml).  Tastes like bitter metal.  The carbonation is nice and fluffy. The makers might want to rethink the Original recipe.  But it is better than a lot of the local beers.  I bought the Hefeweissen and some wine too.  Might have the former tonight.

Something which now disturbs me about the can is that every! sentence! in the description! ends with an exclamation point!



A little later and I'm tackling the 5,0 Original Hefeweissen.  Listening to some Badly Drawn Boy and  letting my cold fade into memory.  The beer is only okay.  It's really sweet and rich, but I do like the color.  Has the usual wheat smells.  Better than Hoegarden, for the price. 

Tomorrow back to the grind, but for now I'm happy to be done with being sick and reading math papers.  Another end to another weekend in Seoul.  I'm trying to figure out how to buy a ticket to Dylan.  Might have to try to get one in person before the show on Weds.


2 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

I also hate clicking to read more

Chris Ferguson said...

I also hate clicking to read more