Surly Furious - I've been wanting to try a beer from this brewery for a long, long time. Luckily, Barry (or one of his friends) hooked me up with one. Mainly piney and little citrusy aroma. Wonderfully balanced for a regular IPA. Color is a perfect red. Drinks bigger than the 6.2% ABV. I think this is much better than Two Hearted or Stone. Maybe the best IPA I've had. Like the can indicates, I was pissed when the beer was empty. The malt balance is the key for an IPA to taste good to me and this one comes through in a huge way. This one and the Hop Rod Rye are probably my favorite IPAs.4.7/5
10 comments:
FYI...this will be available at the Great Taste of the Midwest
Can't wait. By the way, I have a feeling that big craft breweries such as Stone and Bells and Dogfish will make the move to cans in the future.
Thoughts?
Speaking of (large) cans, Zeno's has Ten Fidy on tap, and this is a dangerous/good thing. Mainly a good thing.
Now my posts have become Ten Fidy-ized.
Duane,
Glad you loved the Surly. It is very solid indeed.
Just picked up the Stone Anniversary. Sounds big and bitter
So I had a fabulous Belgian on Friday that I thought I would share with y'all. Gulden Draak. Dark brown and somewhat hazy. Tons of carbonation which created a thick head. Hoppy and very complex with raisins, brown sugar, clove, maybe cinnamon, and possibly a slight hint of whiskey as there was a warming sensation and I could taste the alcohol. Sweet but somehow also bitter. 10.5%abv. I don't know how this whole scoring system works, but out of 10 I would give this a 9 - 9.5 (which would mean a 4.5 - 4.75 on your 5 point scale). I really liked this beer.
Nice Buck. They have that in my beer store here, but I haven't tried it yet...looks like that goes on the shopping list for me.
Do you want me to add you to the authors list for the blog so you can do your own posts on the front page?
Buck, I accidentally rejected your last comment, sorry. The buttons are right next to each other.
I just noticed (or re-noticed) your high regard of Hop Rod.
Did you post on this one? (I'll look it up.)
You guys are fucking nuts. Hop Rod is awesome.
FYI...I just hooked up for a massive trade for some Surly for the GTOM
Post a Comment