Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Catchin' the Red Eye


Tonight's beverage: Two Brother's Red Eye Coffee Porter. This brings up a question that has been growing in my mind lately that I'm hoping some of the brewmiesters here can enlighten me on (although I suppose a wikipedia search would also probably tell me). What is the difference between porters and stouts? I used to think I understood the difference, but lately I've been having a lot of "stouts" that seem to taste a lot like this "porter." Hmmm.

Anyway, back to the beer: This is a tasty example of a coffee beer. It reminds me quite a bit of the best version of Sposborth coffee that I sampled (whichever that was?). It has a distinct coffee flavor, but has no corresponding acidity. It isn't really sweet like some of the breakfast stouts though and has that noticible baltic/russian -ness to it. It seems to taste kind of like a slightly weaker imperial russian but with more coffee hints. Overall, pretty rock solid. One of the better Two Brothers offerings so far I think. A-

2 comments:

피터 said...

Your titles have been ex-ellent lately. By the way are you on Spring Break?

Chris Ferguson said...

I wish. Two more weeks.