Saturday, March 14, 2009

The pleasant surprise of the month award goes to...


I went in a vain search of some coffee Yeti or Kentucky Breakfast today hoping they'd hit the shelves here this week. But, a new line of stuff showed up at the store today: RJ Rockers Brewing company. With a name that lame, you know the beer must be good. This is the "Bell Ringer Ale" whose style was not described on the label, but I took the plunge on anyway because I saw the more important description of "8.5% abv". It also says "an ale worthy of your sturdiest goblet" which I thought was another argument in its favor.

Turns out, this is an american strong in the arrogant bastard/chainsaw type vein. I know I'm the only one who is a big fan of this style, but this is a very accessible take on it I think, which I would imagine everyone would like (although, it certainly is maltier rather than hoppier). I'm starting to think that either barleywines are failures in attempts to make american strongs, or american strongs are barleywines that turned out too good to be called barleywines. Anyway, this is very solid. A/A+

1 comment:

피터 said...

Does anyone think that RJ Rockers might be funded by RJR tobacco?