I was at the store today and saw the new batch of Floyd's Dreadnaught on the shelf with its spiffy new label and decided to give it one more go, now that my palate has been crushed by hops for a full year. You may recall that in the past this has been basically my least favorite of the Imperial IPA's - we'll see if time has healed old wounds.
I'm letting it warm up a touch at the moment... I can report that is smells damn good. Updates to follow.
Updates: Ok, either they changed the recipe, or I was grossly incorrect last time I had this. It tastes an awful lot like Hopslam to me now...the initial taste is sweet fruity (a unique fruit though...mango or something?) and honey-ish and it's only the finish where the hop crush is noticed, but it's a smooth hop assault with none of the bittery acidity that I remembered. It's like a beer that starts as a hopslam and finishes like a ruination. In short, pretty fabulous. I think I'm willing to go A+ on this one.
3 comments:
This was my favorite from ipa day last year at the beerfest.
I knew you'd come around Chris. Dreadnaught is fantastic (and there is, indeed, some unverified speculation that the recipe was tweaked).
Oh...posting at the same time. What review will you have for us tonight Pete?
Post a Comment