Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Foreshadowing......

I need help/suggestions (Pete?) but don't read too much into this.

Let's just say that you had in your possession Horizon, Chinook and Magnum hops (all really high in alpha rating (bitterness factor)-12%+ - 5 oz worth in total)

Can I pull this off or do i need to reconsider my (hypothetical) hop purchase?

8 comments:

피터 said...

I tried to make a ruination clone with similar amount of hops for a five gallon batch. I say do it. Try a partial mash and a little orange peel at the end of the boil for color. Whatever you do, make sure to have a brew while brewing.

And a yeast starter for rapid fermentation is essential.

Barry said...

I have the pale malt extract and grains ready to go.

What do I need to do for the yeast starter? I have the yaest for the fermenter, but how do i swing the starter?
These hops are huge!

피터 said...

check out my post on starters from February. Make the starter a day ahead and then pitch the starter instead of the packet.

It's pretty simple and definitely worth the effort.

Barry said...

So....should I take a half cup from the pale malt I am using? If so, all that is needed is to boil it in water and then add it to the chilled wort once in the primary fermenter after cooling? Fill in the blanks. Is the packet unneccesary?

milwaukeeclassic said...

Neither one of you are the boom king!

PS: This comment was posted under the influence of Ten Fidy.

Barry said...

Duane..start posting son!

피터 said...

you have to add the yeast packet to the starter. It ferments for a day growing a mega yeast population. And you'll need a fermentation lock for the starter.

I do the whole thing in a growler.

Barry said...

Bummer

I'm brewing today and that doesn't give me the time.

Here's to good beer despite the non-starter. Go hoppy IPA!