Sunday, July 27, 2008

Holy Stout Batman!?!


Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Wow...this is in my top ten beers of the summer I think, even after all the great ones we had at beer fest. I would describe it as a stronger (more alchohol flavor), hoppier (or maybe just more bitter) version of the Boris the Crusher. It's what you'd expect to get from Stone taking the Boris recipe and "stone-ing" it. The wussies on Ratebeer don't seem to like the prominence of the alcohol, but to me that's what makes the beer. It pushes the Boris flavor towards the Dark Lord, but doesn't quite get there (for one thing, my glass isn't coated in brown ooze like it was with the 'Lord). I like it better than the regular Stone Imp Russian. Highly recommended. Top 4 or 5 stouts ever for sure (for me, Dark Lord, Kentucky Breakfast, and Tyrannena Devil over a Barrel are all in the mix, but nothing else...I like it slightly better than Boris) I'm going back tomorrow to stock up. 4.8/5

Pazuzu!

Edit: forgot the Oak Yeti...that's also in the top 5 mix. So many great stouts...what a time to be alive! Huzzah!

5 comments:

milwaukeeclassic said...

Ratebeer sucks...every one just reiterates what everyone else says.

Beeradvocate is much, much better.

Barry said...

I have one of these bad boys as well......look forward to comparing our thoughts. I also purchased a BORIS, so perhaps i will do a comparison of the two as well.

As a fridge addendum: new additions include Dreadnaught, Blackheart IPA, CynicAle from Surly, and Surly bITTER.

피터 said...

I've got a XII. And I just bought a Weyerbacher variety case. Uh oh...

Chris Ferguson said...

I got two more, a Yeti, and a Boris for comparison to see if it holds up on a second tasting, or if this was my usual "honeymoon" period exaggeration

피터 said...

I just noticed the Mr. Red in the background. Solid.

I think I have the same over-rating thing going on the first time I try something new.