
So, I'm drinking Scratch Beer # 18 from Troegs, via my Pete box.
I'm unaware if I've ever had a beer from this brewery before, and I enjoy the idea of trying to discern this beer before researching it.
Pours very much like apple juice in both color and consistency.
Not much on the smell; again, a bit of apple juice.
The most predominant tastes are yeast and flour, along with some baking soda and doughy bread. A faint note of Smarties candy sneaks in at the end.
Mouthfeel is a strong point, well carbonated.
I drank and rated this beer without any concept of what type of beer this actually was. I was way off, considering I believed, by taste, this was a Pale Belgian. I'm curious how much knowing the type affects how we rate beers, as I never would have placed this as a rye. Only now can I detect notes of rye, albeit mildly so.
B
2 comments:
I agree with the grade.
But I thought it was more like a pilsner.
Did you also not know at the time?
The power of suggestion is more important than I thought.
Thanks for sending this. It was something totally new and I enjoyed the experience.
Post a Comment