Sunday, March 22, 2009

Post #200...now featuring more rat droppings


Thought I'd open up a fancy one for #200 (thanks to Barry for pointing out this important milestone... I like to think of myself as the Jo-Pa/Bobby Bowden of beer blogging).
This is the Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch. As far as I can tell, the big difference between this and the Beer Geek Breakfast is the type of coffee. This is brewed with Weasel coffee. Let me quote the description from the label:

"...made from the droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy southeast asian animals eat only the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help break down the bean, and workers collect the bean-containing droppings for civet or Weasel coffee. The exceedingly rare coffee has a strong taste and even stronger aroma."

This all seems somewhat hard to believe, but is apparently true if wikipedia is to be believed (which also says that the coffee is $600/lb and a cup of it costs between $33-100, which make me think this was a bargain at $10 for a bomber). It was pretty stellar. My overwhelming impression about it was that it was just amazingly flavorful. It was a complex taste that I don't know that I ever really got my finger on, but I think it kind of reminded me of a fancy chocolate withe some kind of berry flavor in it (like one of those endangered species ones, or chocolate from wherever it was Kathleen got those fancy pepper and Jamaican ones last time I was in Madison). No one would call this bland. I guess I wouldn't say it was the absolute best thing I've ever had, but its in the discussion of most flavorful and interesting, and I liked it a lot. I'll give it an A+.

5 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

Also, as a note to the coffee stout brewers here, if the only difference really is in coffee type, then this is good proof that your choice of coffee will really affect the flavor of the final product

Barry said...

Agreed, I really want to try this.

Barry said...

Plus, that beer just looks delicious.

milwaukeeclassic said...

Guess who just picked one up in Milwaukee :)

Barry said...

Bastard