My literature suggests 2 days in the primary...does this seem too short to you? I cannot wait to drink this hoppy steam brew! There is so much happening with it right now. I want to swim in the fermenter and bathe in its goodness.
Katie asked what I thought Barry's beer would taste like, and I said I'm imagining him trying to figure out how he can somehow condense 1 acre's worth of hops into a 12 oz glass.
The secondary is also glass. I will call the Wine and hOP SHOP. Hmmm....Chris you are all too right. When I start to get the hang of this I may just stuff stuff hops in a bottle and call it my beer.
A day or two and we will be fermenting, secondary still. In a completely related topic, Twin Peaks is a very odd show, I have a hard time believing it was on in syndication. Also, the Decemberists are a good band. Carry on.
7 comments:
Cool. Time's up to you and the recipe.
If you're doing a secondary fermentation, I'd say 1 week in the primary, then 10 days in the secondary, longer if it's a high gravity beer.
My literature suggests 2 days in the primary...does this seem too short to you? I cannot wait to drink this hoppy steam brew! There is so much happening with it right now. I want to swim in the fermenter and bathe in its goodness.
Two days is pretty short, if you are using a glass carboy. What is your secondary vessel?
I usually make IPA/APA, which is not a steam, and do 1 week primary (plastic bucket), 10 days secondary (glass carboy).
So far the results have been good.
Katie asked what I thought Barry's beer would taste like, and I said I'm imagining him trying to figure out how he can somehow condense 1 acre's worth of hops into a 12 oz glass.
The secondary is also glass. I will call the Wine and hOP SHOP. Hmmm....Chris you are all too right. When I start to get the hang of this I may just stuff stuff hops in a bottle and call it my beer.
The surefire way to tell is that once the Krausen(=the frothy Irish coast in winter) has fallen, you should rack to the secondary.
It will be really easy to tell when this has happened, since you are using a glass carboy. I'm jealous.
Next week I'm making an imperial stout. The books say it must age for up to a year! That will be, by far, the most difficult brewing.
A day or two and we will be fermenting, secondary still. In a completely related topic, Twin Peaks is a very odd show, I have a hard time believing it was on in syndication. Also, the Decemberists are a good band. Carry on.
Post a Comment