Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dry-hopping and adding oak chips to the IIPA

This is what a clump of Magnum hop leaves looks like.

The jug on the left has a little more than an oz of steamed oak chips and a teabag filled with the Magnum hops and Centennial hop pellets; on the right, only hops.

I could not get the siphon going even with a lot of effort (and a few colorful adjectives thrown in). So I had to pour the primary through funnels into each secondary. I bought an auto-siphon the next day. I really couldn't understand why this happened. Is there any scientific reason that siphoning 2 gallons from a 6.5 gallon carboy wouldn't work?

After a few hours the secondaries had cleared up significantly. There is little sign of fermentation. I'm hoping that this is due to the yeast starter, and is not a 'stuck fermentation'. We'll see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Here's a better picture of the secondaries.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Any fermentation going on now?

Looks good.

피터 said...

Doesn't seem like it. As soon as I get the auto siphon I'll probably bottle it.