Sunday, February 24, 2008

Highlights from Last Night


round 1: Upland Chocolate Stout. This was kind of a textbook Chocolate Stout. Nothing bad, nothing amazing. I'd give it a 3/5 for Choc stouts, and a 3.8/5 for beer in general because they are automatically better than your average beer. It's main advantage and reason for my purchase was that it's local and none of you can buy it, and thus I look slightly cooler after weeks of hearing about your (much better) local brews.

round 2: North Coast Brother Theloneous. From the fine folks that brought you Ol' Raspy comes a different kind of "happy monk". This was a pretty good Belgian dark. Not the best I've ever had, but good. I always have trouble rating Belgians because I tend to be drunk enough by the end that it tastes great to me. This was also the case last night. Thinking back to initial impressions though, I think this was a 3.5/5 among Belgians, and a 4/5 for beer in general. Also note the excellent glass which is technically Pete's although it has never left my house

2 comments:

피터 said...

Upland is excellent. I also liked the Burger place we went to in Bloomy in January.

We must go there in May.

Yesterday, Hopslam + 11th Anniversay = an early night.

Chris Ferguson said...

I forgot to mention Katie's somewhat cryptic description of the Theloneous Monk: "If cotton was a beer, it would taste like this"