Saturday, August 2, 2008

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout



Last night while hanging out at my local bar they had new beer on tap. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. The first few sips of this beer were so bizarre that I couldn't tell if it was gross or too awesome for words. Ultimately I decided it was the latter and ended up drinking far too many. At 9% abv it definitely has a kick. The head on this was nice and thick, but not in an airy foam kind of way. The initial taste is extremely bitter with strong flavors of chocolate and coffee and the finish is extremely smooth. You can definitely taste both the hops and malt. This beer is extremely addicting and after the first one I wanted ten more. This might be my new favorite beer. I'd give this a 4.8.

3 comments:

milwaukeeclassic said...

I just had an Old Raspy the other day for the first time and I thought it was pretty good. Too chocolaty for my tastes though. I'm glad to see that you starting to venture into the greatest of beer styles, the Imperial Stout. There are a lot of good imperial stouts.

Barry said...

Welcome Buck!

You are already tougher than Pete, who was thoroughly vanquished by Sir Raspy!

피터 said...

Well posted. I opened one in Bloomington in 2006 while watching Iron Eagle II - and I've almost finished it.

I've looked around for this a few times to give it a second chance. Maybe I'll bring one back from Madison.

Do they make any other flavors.