Monday, August 18, 2008

Sly Fox Odyssey Imperial IPA

The bitterness overpowers the malt profile. Soft rye aroma and the scent of cascade hops. Definitely one of the area's better IIPA's. It's close to the A students but is slightly too bitter. It's much better than the other Sly Fox I rated, Rte 113, which I am re-grading to a C.

Later I will rate the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. (Again.) As the Odyssey warms up the harsh finish is fading - or my palate is relenting - a welcome improvement.

I'd give Odyssey an AB.

Update: As this beer warms up it has improved quite a bit. Now grapefruit tastes are present and the bitterness is gone. Unfortunately, the beer almost is gone too. Time for Double Simcoe.

7 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

It's all about the palate relenting. Beneficiaries of this for me tonight included the 3 Floyds XI and the 90 minute and Palo Santo.

피터 said...

Post a picture of the Palo Santo. Does it taste like wine?

Chris Ferguson said...

It tastes smokey/oaky like an arrogant bastard or possibly a Chainsaw, although I think I was the only one who really liked that. I'll take a pic next time I open one-it's very dark.

milwaukeeclassic said...

What is with this AB shit? We only give real grades here.

피터 said...

AB is standard UW grading...

Chris Ferguson said...

We have plus/minus here in bloomington.

milwaukeeclassic said...

Standard at UW and no where else in the world. I support +/-.