Monday, May 19, 2008

Chainsaw, 2008 edition


Catching up from a few days of slow posting. The Left Hand Chainsaw has changed bottle logos, so I got both to try and compare. I will put the 2007 away for beer fest (the last one in the store). If you recall my previous review, I loved it as one of my favorite beers of all time.

The 2008 vintage is almost as good, but seems a little thinner with less complex flavors. It is "bottle conditioned" so maybe our resident brewers can tell whether it is likely to be the aging that leads to the difference (and whether or not it would improve if I stashed a couple bottles away for a year). Verdict: Still great, but not quite as great. 4.7/5

4 comments:

Barry said...

I have a theory that we are overly influenced at times by the brewery or bottle as well. Hence, my suggestion of some blind taste testing at beerfest. I also believe that the Warrior IPA from Left Hand was FAR BETTER in the old bottle. Hmm....

milwaukeeclassic said...

So Barry, are you saying you are influenced by the label "IPA"?

Chris Ferguson said...

I agree. At least in this case it does say "2007 Edition" and "2008 Edition" so I can more easily justify my belief that they taste different. I will try to have both on hand so we can blindly taste. (The smart money is on me picking the wrong one when blindfolded.)

Barry said...

Hell yes, the IPA gets my dollar every time. I also believe that we would rate some beers higher and lower in blind tests.