Friday, May 2, 2008

Finally understand what "American Strong Ale" means


Wow. The week keeps on giving remarkable beers. This was the PERFECT blending to me of the concept of a Belgian Strong and some American hops. Left Hand Chainsaw Double Sawtooth. On the label it says something like "intended to be drunk with friends and to cut lumber," and it is certainly capable of either. Very cloudy and thick like a fresh apple cider from an orchard. Remarkably strong with a very highly present alcohol taste, almost like a bourbon or smooth whiskey, yet also well balanced and yielding the subtle sweetness and strong spices of your favorite Belgian strong ale. Mix in a tiny hint of hoppy IPA-ness, and you have the Chainsaw. I'm not sure if there is any barrel aging, but it tastes pretty oaky to me. I'm going to stock up on a couple of these for June. My only hesitation is that I got the last one with the older label and so this one may have been better aged than the others in the store. Bottom line: this is in my favorite beers of all time. 4.9/5

No comments: