Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday's Dance with El Diablo


Three deep sips into the Devil and the day begins to slip away. A slight fogginess develops quickly, and the warming sensation of alcohol surges through the veins quite quickly. At 13 % the Devil waits for no man. Strong hop presence on the pour, deep red in color with nearly no head. Tastes of bitter caramel and toffee, with a "tastes like burning" that dear Ralph Wiggum could identify. So sweet and incredibly mother-puckeringly bitter, that I feel my frustration returning. Maybe it's just that my tastes are changing. There is so much promise from a beer that claims 200 IBU's, and yet, like so many before it, destroys the all-mighty hop with a conglomeration of alcohol and astringency. Like the fat kid on the teeter totter, his intention are good, but the outcome is sadly predictable.

3.6/5

1 comment:

Chris Ferguson said...

I can't tell you how relieved my manhood is that this was too much even for the mighty Barry. I think I liked it a little more than you even. Certainly not a beer for the weak at hops.