Friday, May 16, 2008

Hard to Break the Big Beer Bias


After drinking so many big beers, it gets easy to find any non-imperial, non-double, non mega hop infused brew to be simply meh. I fall victim to it all the time. Happily, I've found a beer that is pretty tasty, and a regular old pale. Great Lake's Burning River reminds me of a poor man's Two Hearted. Maybe it's the Cascade hops. It's fruity, a tad hoppy, and very floral...hence the similarity to Bell's yummy IPA. Nice.

4.25/5

6 comments:

피터 said...

I hear that.

I found myself only liking Imp IPA's and Stouts until the Belgian fest. The problem with that though, is that a) Belgians are hard to find and b) are expensive.

Homebrew is the way forward.

피터 said...

Also, long live Bell's Two Hearted.

I think I'll bring a 5 Liter keg for beer fest.

Chris Ferguson said...

Imperials have definately ruined my enjoyment of regular beers. Although I had a chainsaw last night and then some Flying dog IPAs and the flying dogs kept up.

Speaking of kegs, I saw an Oberon mini-keg at the store last time. Bell's in a mini-keg is much better than the Grolsch/Heikekin/Warsteiner that is usually available. Now if I could just find Hopslam mini-kegs (or full barrels for that matter...oak barrels)

milwaukeeclassic said...

I vote no 5-liter kegs for beer fest. We are going to have way too much beer as it is (mainly due to my impulse buying). And variety is the spice of life :)

Chris Ferguson said...

Agreed... with the caveat this if you happened to find a mini-keg of something that was good enough you would bring it in a bottle or bomber (ie: Hopslam, two hearted, 90 min IPA, etc.) that would be allowed. Also, growlers should probably be allowed.

Also, I decree that no one's allowed to leave Bloomington until all the beer is consumed.

milwaukeeclassic said...

I think growlers are ok too.