Thursday, October 9, 2008

Belgian Darks

9/28/08




1: Bell's Hell Hath No Fury Ale. This was really good. Kind of mellow and not overpowering but I'm viewing that as a positive. Fruity. A little flat but still great. A








2: Unibroue Chambly Noire. Very yeasty flavor, much less fruity than the Bell's. Kind of watery. Fizzy. Probably my least favorite Unibroue to date. C-






3: Dogfish Raison D'Extra. Another ridiculously high ABV dogfish. Heavy alcohol burn like their 120 min or World Wide Stout. I had pretty low expectations for this, but wanted to give it a try anyway. It's actually not half bad if you can handle the high gravity. To be honest, all these Uber-ABV beers are pretty much overwhelmed in the flavor area by the same basic alcohol flavor, but there are some of the Belgian dark fruity flavors coming through. I'd give this a B+, but probably won't ever get it again. Might try the D'etre if I can find a single of it (they only had it in 6 packs today and I knew I didn't want that many)

Bell's was the big winner tonight.

2 comments:

Barry said...

I'm going on memory here, and I've drank it multiple times, but I REALLY like the Hell Hath No Fury. I believe it Bell's second best beer that I can recall. I saw it tonight, but purchased something else to be posted.

피터 said...

Go Raisin D'etre.