This is the last of a growler of 'Slab Cabin IPA' from Otto's I bought last night. The bartender is one of my students. (How come I didn't get a discount?) This definitely has some rye in it. I am becoming a very big fan of rye in all beers and IPA's in particular. My feeling is that rye adds a little spice to the beer. Slab Cabin is better than Otto's DD IPA, which has been suspended until hop prices come back down.* Also the ABV is lower, which I am all for. Lately I've been looking for lower alcohol beers. (Except for the stouts I'm making. Obviously.)
Extremely sessionable. I would happily drink this all evening.
The grade: B.
---------------------------------------------------------
*Does anyone else suspect that regardless of future hop yields, prices will remain high? Are hops and petroleum the same from an economical perspective?
1 comment:
Funny, I saw one of my students at Upland the other night. I guess that's what happens in a college town.
There's supposed to be a new Otto's Imp Stout soon isn't there? Jolly Roger I think?
Hops seem like an interesting economy...obviously they are different from gas in that they are a) a renewable resource
b) used to produce a luxury good, not power the world (or are they?)
It is pretty shocking to me that at the rate things are going people aren't plowing under their useless soy and corn and planting lots of hops, but I guess they could be as we speak (I think it takes several years to start yielding anything). Also, from what I've read in several articles they established hop farms don't want to expand because they think this is just a short term phase that will die out.
I personally think craft beer is a city on the....grow!
Post a Comment