Sunday, October 12, 2008

Red pens and black stouts...

It's grading day for me, with the first midterm of the semester. Barry, I don't know how you do this on a regular basis...3 times a semester is more than enough for me. Very average results...I'm guessing it's going to come out around 75%, which is pretty good for the first time I've written an exam for this class. I've gotten the impression I'm on double-secret probation for having my grades too high, so am trying to keep it under a 3.0 this semester.

Turning to beer, tonight I popped open a Three Floyd's Moloko Plus Milk Stout. I've only ever seen this once, so I don't know how rare it is, but it looks cool anyway. It's a pretty good beer, but maybe a little too sweet for me. It reminds me of when I pour a cup of coffee at the office and the sugar comes out of the canister too fast and I'm stuck with a barely drinkable cup of joe. This has a strong coffee-ish taste and smell, very "roast-y" if that makes any sense. Strange fizzy taste on the tongue too although it looks flat in the glass. The sugary-ness is just too overpowering though...to the point where I'm almost expecting it to still be sitting in granules on the bottom. This is one of those beers that you kind of enjoy the novelty of trying, and don't hate, but would likely never pull off the shelf again. I still have a lake louie milk stout in the fridge that I'll compare it to tomorrow.

Verdict: C+/B-

P.S.-I'm not sure who's worse, the Bengals or my fantasy team. Brutal.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Solid Vis-a-Vis action photo!

You just don't dig Floyd's brews huh?

Chris Ferguson said...

Amazingly enough, my favorite is probably Robert the Bruce, although I haven't had one in forever, so that might not hold up to my current tastes.

I like Alpha King ok, and I like the Resplendence and I guess the Black Hole Sun is decent. They're just generally weird and over-rated to me. Something about them isn't right. (and yet, I'll stubbornly keep trying every single one I can find)