
Two new reviews for me tonight. First up, and most interesting:
Avery "The Beast" Grand Cru. This is the 2005 vintage, which is shockingly one of the weakest versions of recent years, clocking in at 14.9% a.b.v. (the year before was 18.1!) This is a definite eye-opener and tongue knumbener. You can smell the alcohol literally from across the room. The first few sips are pretty brutal till your tongue gets used to it (or just gives up and relents). Similar effect to a dogfish 120. By the third or fourth sip I was a convert, and decided I really like it. It pours thick, like a candy apple coating. Taste is strong alcohol, and very much like a mixture of port or sherry and some nice Bourbon. Don't drive anywhere after sampling one of these. I'll give it an A, with caveats that you can't really consider it a beer as much as a liquor. I'm very thankful this was a 12 oz instead of a 750 or I might be dead right now. I'd happily drink another though.

What I would NOT happily drink another of is the
Dogfish Midas Touch "traditional ale." I would call this undrinkable except for the contradicting fact that I did, in fact, finish it. If I hadn't already had the Beast to partially incapacitate it, there's no way my palate would have allowed it. This was strong itself and weighed in at a hefty 9%. I can only assume that the "brewing process" here is to purchase some discount over-ripe green grapes at the local super market, leave them in a bowl of cheap vodka in the hot sun for several weeks, strain, and bottle. That pretty well describes the experience you'll get here. On a scale from suck to ten, I'll give this a suck minus.
3 comments:
Solid suck minus!
I feel Dogfish is far more miss than hit.
Agreed. Dogfish and 3 Floyds disappoint me about 90% of the time with their weird-for-the-sake-of-weird beers. Yet I keep wanting to try them all.
Agreed.
Post a Comment