
...or if not a miss, at least a foul tip. I broke open the
Dogfish Theobroma tonight. It could be that I had ridiculous expectations for this beer, but I think it would have been a letdown no matter what. Supposedly this is from some ancient Aztec recipe for some sort of alcoholic chocolate drink. When you read that description, you think it must be a dark beer, but in fact it is super light...like a light IPA. There is also not really even a hint of chocolate flavor. This is basically a fruity, white grape-like drink that tastes like a better version of the Midas Touch (see my earlier entry on that
here under the "blurst of times" section). To be fair, it's drinkable and enjoyable, but it's really nothing particularly special, and definitely not worth the $12/bottle. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't' think I'll get it again, unless maybe I'm in Rehobeth, DE and get it on draft.
Grade: C+
7 comments:
They brew some crazy far out shit.
You almost had it right. They brew...shit.
My summary of Dogfish beers I've had:
The ones that are always great:
Palo Santo Marron
90 minute
The ones that are really good if you're in the mood:
All the 20% abvs (world wide, 120, and raison d'extra)
Burton Baton Oak IIPA
The ones that are somewhere between OK and undrinkable:
60 min
Festina Peche
Theobroma
Midas Touch
Aprihop
As yet untried by me:
Red & White
Chicory Stout
Pangea
Others?
Three floyds is very similar for me:
Good/great:
Dark Lord
Alpha King
Enjoyable:
Robert the Bruce
Resplendence XI
Dreadnaught
Black Sun Stout
Pride and Joy
Pretty Horrible:
Gumballhead
Alpha Kong
Moloko Milk Stout
Rabid Rabbit
Behemoth
Brian Boru Irish red
In the fridge awaiting me as we speak:
Blackheart
Munsterfest
Alpha Klaus
Gorch Fock
I seem to feel the need to at least support the fact that they're trying to make something cool, even if they do fail miserably 90% of the time
I enjoyed the Black Sun I had a few weeks ago. It tasted like chocolate covered cherries...which I dig.
I remember liking the Festina Peche and not really caring about the Red and White.
Otherwise I agree with you across the board. Also, 60 minute sucks.
Post a Comment