Saturday, October 11, 2008

Brewing suggestions wanted

Today's brewing complete. I have about 2.5 gallons going in the primary. I am planing to split this into two batches and dry hop one with coffee beans.

I broke my hydrometer, but I believe the gravity is high.

The malt profile is

Pale 2-row
Chocolate malt
Belgian biscuit
Cara Aroma
Dark Malt

and I hopped with the last of my Nugget.

Question: What should I add to the other gallon?

4 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

Bourbon

피터 said...

I thought about that. This is the front runner. Maybe a shot or two. I wonder about the effect on the yeast. Would it kill off the yeast and any chance for carbonation? Are bourbon stouts less carbonated?

Carey said...

I think you could add the bourbon slowly, but yeast will not like to start off fermenting in the presence of alcohol. I do think it would be less carbonated.

피터 said...

D'oh! I just read this after adding the bourbon.....

This is a great suggestion. I will definitely add a little bit at a time in the future.

Do you think coffee would have a similar effect?