As I think all of you know already, Carey and I made the trip up to Minneapolis for the release of Surly Darkness. It was a very fun time. On Darkness Day Eve, our first stop was at the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery.
They have lots of good stuff there.
Beer one: Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Eye of the Storm - This one was a 10% alcohol strong ale made with 10 different varieties of honey. The aroma was distinct honey-y. The taste reminds of some honey beer I've had before, but I can't place it. Solid. A-
Beer two: Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Black H2O Oatmeal Stout - I liked this one less. A little thin tasting. Carey liked it better than me. Not bad, just not remarkable. B
Beer three: Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Fresh Hop 2008 - This one was by far the best of the three. This fresh hop IPA was made with 200 pounds of fresh Cascade hops. That's right 200 pounds of hops! This beer is totally not balanced and it does not matter one bit. Piney, spicy and extremely intensely bitter. Outstanding. Best harvest ale I've had to date. A+
PS: If you come to the Draftstravaganza on Saturday, you will get to split a growler with me.
10 comments:
Oh hell yes!
It was very fun to sit in a chair outside for 5 hours after getting up at 6am. Very fun indeed.
You're a good sport Carey :)
I have had Masala Mama twice, and was extremely disappointed in it both times. In a blind taste taste of IPA's last weekend, it tested very poorly and was described by one participant as "smelling like post-running underwear." Yikes!
As of now I am a no go Nov. 8th for the trip to Chicago - I wish I lived closer.
However I have November 21st - December 1st off. Is there anything going on then?
I, unfortunately, am out as well.
You are nuts about the Masala Mama and the Double Simcoe.
And you guys are beer pussies for not coming to Chicago :)
Thanks Chris. :) I did finish reading a good Stephen King novel while sitting there. I think the worst part was finding out later that we could have shown up at 3pm and gotten all the beer we wanted.
But the best case scenario was getting there early, getting free beer from a keg and then getting more beer than you expected. And I gather that is what happened!
Post a Comment