Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sposborth IIPA

Too hoppy? That is my current verdict. Unbalanced is a maybe more accurate description. The beer looks very clear and nice, perhaps too much, and tastes a little too much like nothing good. Maybe all grain is harder than I thought. I do think there is not enough malt. Probably I should yield and add some DME to my next batch. Too much like cough syrup and too smelly (sickly aromatic). Hopefully the taste will improve as I have been anxiously awaiting this homebrew. I will try to pinpoint the flavors later.

Having said all of that, it is still better than most IPA's I can buy in Centre County (Zeno's excluded). It just isn't as good (yet?) as I hoped for. There are 10 more bottles and my fingers are crossed.

Current grade: B-.

7 comments:

Chris Ferguson said...

At least it looks good :)

피터 said...

True enough. There will always be more homebrew!

Barry said...

Are we too hard on our own beers?

Barry said...

P.S. Too hoppy? Is there such a thing?

피터 said...

There might be a too hoppy. I think I overdid the aroma in the IIPA.

I'm going to do my best to save one of these for our next beer fest. So the sooner we get together the better the chances.

Barry said...

You ought to come to Halfstravaganza. I'm hoping everyone will be there (Nov 1st)

Barry said...

Pete,
How can you overdo aroma?