Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wynona's Big Brown Ale

Voodoo Brewery's Wynona's Big Brown Ale is a solid brown. Definitely the best brown I've had in a long while. Like a lot of the bottle conditioned beer I've had lately (and especially darker beers) the head disappears if you look away for a second. Anyway it's carbonated enough. Tastes like brown. It's sweet like a milk stout and sticky on the lips. Significant hop bitterness to go with the sweetness. Not a sessionable beer. Solid. Chris you might likey. I would go to this again.

Wynona's Big Brown Ale: AB.

On an unrelated topic, Sierra Nevada's Fresh Hop Whatever sucks. Buck is right.

On a second unrelated topic, my recent homebrews are not yet carbonated (I tried the nugget pale ale and the java stout over the weekend) so I will withhold any reviews. But I will say that my friend Matt called the Java stout the best beer I've made (This is kind of a joke: I say that at the time of every batch I make, but he was also not kidding.) On the other hand the nugget pale tasted like apple juice..... yuck. I'm going to brew this Saturday.

On a third unrelated topic, I tried the Sam Adams Scotch Ale and Dark Lager over the weekend. Both were good, but not styles I aspire to drink. I've noticed that Sam Adams is making A LOT of different beers lately. Good for them. (Although Sam Adams is no DFH.)

5 comments:

Barry said...

I want to put this beer against Barryborth brown...and kick it's sss

Barry said...

or ass..whichever you'd prefer

Barry said...

Also, it appears I will have to break the Sierra Nevada tie votes...excellent

Chris Ferguson said...

Is it possible the people who didn't like the fresh hop got stale ones? I know they've done a couple of batches. I would imagine this doesn't age well.

Barry said...

very possible