Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Big Stout week continues on Southdowns

Day 2 of what seems to have become the Big Stout Week here soldiers on with a serious new contender. Avery Mephistopheles Stout (Batch 3 2007...16%abv) . Still just digging into this one, but some early observations which I'll add to as it warms:
1) Serious alcohol burn on the aftertaste, but as usual with me I'm finding that to be more of a plus than a minus...your results may vary. The alcohol smell is also overwhelming any other aromas from a nose point of view
2) VERY complex flavors...I'm tasting the usual dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, etc but also swirling in between all that is a very fruity, citrusy flavor I haven't put my finger on yet. It's almost like one of those chocolate oranges you break into slices. Has kind of a port sort of vibe going on too. Can't wait to see which flavors win as this warms up.
3) Not super sweet or super thick...it's very dark and looks like some heavy duty oil, but doesn't coat the glass or the tongue like some others do. Could be the ridiculous alcohol content.

update:
It's warming up and the flavors are even more complex, but still just as confusing. One thing I know for sure is that I like it a lot, and may have to get a few more so I can figure out what's going on with everything in it. Bottom line: not for beginners, but a great stout if you can stomach the abv. This isn't in the smooth category like a BORIS, but is more in the agressive Raspy category (only better)
A+

10 comments:

Barry said...

Chris,

Cheers to your adventurous sampling and blogs. It's nice to see the entire group blog new and interesting beers. Seems you've had a major love or hate relationship with your recent beers, though mostly love.

To your liver Chris!

피터 said...

I brewed after dinner today. I plan to brew on Friday too.

Barry said...

and to your brewing Pete.....how are they coming?

Chris Ferguson said...

Thanks Barry...It's been a fun ride. Wouldn't have ever gotten into all this experimenting if not for you guys.

Barry said...

We do pretty much rock, huh?

I propose a mini-beer fest much, much earlier than my annual dream of Southdowns Beerfest.

피터 said...

We should get together again before the summer.

Has anyone else noticed that Chris has more than doubled my post count?

I need to try more beer. Oh I forgot, I live in central Pennsylvania. D'oh.

피터 said...

This weekend: IPA brewing.

Chris Ferguson said...

Yes, I'm smoking you all in a big way. More drinking, more posting one and all.

Chris Ferguson said...

In fact, you're behind Imperial IPA, which is sad.

Barry said...

No more excuses Pete...get posting