Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Breakfast for Dinner

I made a Breakfast for Dinner meal tonight of some tasty bacon and rasberry french toast, to go along with these fine selections...the first spoils of the new beer store:

First up: Founders Breakfast Stout. This one sadly paled in comparison to the Kentucky Breakfast version. Still good, but doesn't live up to the other one (although if I didn't have that to compare it to, I might be blown away.) Solid A-


Next up: Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. Another 100%-er on Rate beer, so this was a pretty solid beer night. I thought this was a little better than the Founders, although Katie liked the Founders better...pretty close tossup. I'll give the beer geek the slight nod, in part because it came in a bigger bottle so there was more to enjoy. Another A- for me. Neither quite reaches my stout pantheon (I'd put dark lord, both of the Stones, Oak Yeti, Kentucky Breakfast, and BORIS all comfortably ahead of either of these)

Last one was intended to be more of a dessert beer and one I thought Katie would like. Dark Horse Tres (Blueberry Stout) - this is a dry stout, and was really different from the first two...kind of jarringly different. Not much blueberry presence-just in the smell, not really in the taste. My least favorite of the three, but I would still try it again. I think it needed to stand on its own to have a fair shot. For now, I'll give it a B.

2 comments:

피터 said...

Looks like some solid beers.

I am going to make a stout this weekend. There are oak chips soaking in Knob Creek to add to the secondary as I type.

milwaukeeclassic said...

I didn't really like the Beer Geek Breakfast