Saturday, September 13, 2008

Honoring Dogs

Rogue 2008 Brewer's Ale, dedicated to the former Rogue Labrador that bears a striking resemblance to one blogger's best bud Harper. First things first, this was a thick, chewy beer...like a mouthful of beef jerky. Definitely a beer makes you feel like a dog would appreciate it-possibly with a pile of beggin' strips. I should take a picture of the aftermath in the glass...it's almost as coated as the Dark Lord glasses. Also comes in a cool swingtop bottle like the XS Imperial series (and includes a dogtag for some unknown reason)

It's an american strong ale, but is also really hoppy with about 110 IBUs. If I had to compare it to things I think we've all had, I would say it's like taking a batch of oak Bastard and mixing it about half and half with Runination. Very flavorful, sticky, thick beer. I would say I enjoyed it alot, but at the same time probably wouldn't buy another one. B+

Listening to: Raconteurs...Consolers of the Lonely. I'd forgotten about it after listening to it a couple times right when it came out. Back into it in a BIG way. This is a seriously great album-all over the place in a good way. Lots of variety. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

Barry said...

I've wanted to buy this, but was scared by the price a little.

Chris Ferguson said...

I'd probably say to pass on it unless you want it just for the sake of trying it (which I did). Especially given that I don't recall you loving some of the other American strongs like the Left Hand Chainsaw...although I guess you liked the Palo Santo and the Bastard, so maybe you would like this.

I paid $15, and it probably wasn't worth that although it is contributing to my growing fliptop collection.

피터 said...

Those opaque bottles would be ideal for brewing. Save them and starting brewing.

That is all.

Chris Ferguson said...

OK...from now on I'm going to get a Rogue XS or similar bottle of one variety or another every trip to the store to build up enough to do a homebrew batch.