Sunday, September 21, 2008

I think this might be a Walsh favorite...


Sunday 9/21:
Had to wash the horrible taste of that Avery out of my mouth, so I opened up a Sierra Nevada Harvest Fresh Hop Ale (2008 1st release). Super hoppy APA. I think this is one of the first of a slew of fresh hop brews that is coming down the pipeline. If it's any indication, we're in for a treat. This is pretty stellar. I don't know if the name is tricking my mind, but it does have a really fresh and refreshing taste. Big hop smell, bitter hoppy finish. Have I used the word hops enough yet? It tastes and smells like hops. Like there should be a little plastic sword with fresh hops impaled floating on top of the glass. HOPS!!!
I don't think I've had a Sierra Nevada in years-might have to give them a second look after this.
I'll give this a strong A-...strong enough that if it had good attendance and participated in class I would probably bump it up.

4 comments:

Barry said...

I really, surprise, enjoy fresh hop ales.

If you have the opportunity, buy the Fresh hop from Founders.

Southern Tier's is also yummy.

Chris Ferguson said...

I think I'm going to like them to. Will keep my eye out for the Founders. There's also a Great Divide and a Rogue hitting stores shortly I think, along with some others I probably won't be able to find here like Weyerbacher, Harpoon, and Deschutes

http://beernews.org/2008/09/deschutes-hop-trip-founders-harvest-ale-and-the-fresh-hop-mega-post/

Buck said...

I really did not like the Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. I had it a few weeks ago and thought it tasted assy. But then again, there isn't a single beer made by Sierra Nevada that I think is even OK.

피터 said...

Just had it. It's not as good as I hoped. I would say that it tastes "yeungling-y" which is my version of ass-y.

On the other hand Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is decent.

Haven't been able to find the Weyerbacher harvest ale.