Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pictures of the Pete's Pilsner

On Sunday I started a pilsner. The first picture shows the brew kettle during the chilling phase just after the boil. The green clouds are hop pellets after having been added at minute 0 of the boil. I tried later to do a whirlpool to collect the 'junk' in the center of the brewpot. Not sure it worked. Every thing went pretty smoothly with this batch.

This is the picture of the two 1 gallon fermenters in my fridge. The one in the back holds the contents of the wort which I siphoned out the kettle. So it has less sediment. The bottle in the front contains the remainder of the wort which I simply poured into the fermenter and so it contains much more of the sediment. We'll see if there is a difference in the final product. I'm surprised/amazed at how the pilsner yeast can ferment in a cold environment. After about 10 hours at room temperature the fermentation showed signs of beginning and I put the bottles in the fridge. I put a thermometer in the fridge. Seems that a setting of '3' produces about 42 F inside the fridge.

4 comments:

피터 said...

The ham in my fridge looks.... kind of gross.

Chris Ferguson said...

I'm mostly concerned about what appears to be a bag of ears and/or tongues in your meat drawer.

I do approve of the flying dog's on the other shelf though.

피터 said...

Flying Dog: nice call.

I had their IPA a while back and liked it. It's a malty version of ipa.

Chris Ferguson said...

I concur...I'm a big fan. One of my favorite IPA's

I have a 4 pack I found yesterday of the Double IPA's waiting for me in the fridge that I'm excited about also