Perhaps the rarest beer I've had, and also one that destroyed my palate for the night. Alaskan Smoke Porter. This bar gets one cask, once a year of this brew and today happened to be the day they were tapping it. Lucky me :) Today they had the new 2008 vintage, and one that had been aging since 1996. I went with the '96 which was supposed to be smoother.
Initially, this did not follow the IPA's well. Lucky for me, there was a tasty grilled cheese with bacon calling my name on the menu. 15 minutes and some melted cheddar later, this beer tasted great. Probably the best beer/food pairing I've ever made. Very smokey flavor...much more than the Rogue, but maybe not as much as the crazy german one Duane brought down last Bloomington Beer Fest. I liked this a lot, but any hope of tasting anything other than smoke the rest of the night was hopeless. I still taste it now, one beer, one dark milky way, and one bag of gummy bears later. Final score w/ grilled cheese pairing: 4.4/5
No comments:
Post a Comment