Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Could it be?


Unless my taste buds are deceiving me, I believe this might actually be a drinkable beer from the hated BBC (Bluegrass Brewing Co.). The Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout proves my new theory (or more accurately, fails to DIS-prove the theory) that oaked beers are great. Why did I buy a beer from a company whose products I have universally despised up until today? Excellent question. My answer in two words: Oak Barrel. My critical analysis is that this beer is REALLY smooth, almost to the point of being watery. As dry as yesterday's Trippel was, this is wet like a dip in the pool on a hot humid August Day. I think some people might complain that it tastes a little bland and watery, but I have to say I like it. It's a little reminiscent of a Lake Louie Milk Stout. 4/5.

1 comment:

피터 said...

Oak barrel conditioning. I've wondered about it. Aging in oak can introduce hangover producing chemicals and methyl alcohols, but it always seems to produce good flavors.

What's a chocoholic, except for beer, to think?