Wednesday, March 5, 2008

De Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren


On Monday, Carey and I went to the Sint Sixtus Abbey in search of the most scarce of the Trappist brews. There is a cafe on the premises that pretty much exclusively serves the beer.

While here, I had the following:

Westvleteren Blonde - This is a tasty Belgian ale (5.8%) that had more hop flavor than I would have expected.

Westvleteren 8 - This was a big brown beer, with fruity and bready tones and a slight alcohol burn. Very, very tasty.

Westvleteren 12 (x 2) - This one was so good, I had two. It sorta tastes similar to the Sint Bernardus Abt 12, but a little less fruity and a lot smoother. There were a lot for fruit and sugar and good Belgian yeast tastes.
Overall, a great experience visit to taste this one in kind beer.

No comments: