Monday, March 10, 2008

Slam vs. Oak...the Rumble in the Tumbler


Well, my goal tonight was to crown my favorite beer of the recent weeks. These are both great, and it was a difficult decision. I'm concerned that the coin flip result in which Hopslam chose to receive and Oaked Bastard took the wind in the second half may have been a deciding factor. The Hopslam has a lot more flavor, and as a result the Oaked fared worse in comparison despite an attempted pretzel palate clense. In the end, I think the honey was superior to the oak as a flavor enhancer. Bonus points to the gargoyle though which enhances any beverage. Also of note, in looking back at the picture from my first Oaked rating just now, I noticed that the bottle caps were different, which may mean that the earlier beer was in fact different from this batch and may justify my slightly lower opinion of the bastard on the second drinking. If given the option when buying, get the one that just says "arrogant bastard" on the cap, not the one with the stone gargoyle logo.
Final Score: Hopslam 4.9/5
Oaked AB 4.6/5

No comments: