Thursday, March 13, 2008

Two days worth

Last night: A different kind of happy gnome beer than my last go around. The first one was like Hoegarden, this one was more like a brown Belgian. Very tasty. Probably not up to new Ellington standards, but I liked it. 4/5.

Two nights ago I got a growler from the best neighborhood in southern Indianapolis. Why so good? Within about 2 miles is a Guitar Center, a Skyline Chili and a microbrewery. What more does anyone need? The most disturbing thing about the brew pub when I walked in was that of the 5 tables of people in there at the time, 3 were drinking bottles of Coors light. Who goes to a microbrewery and gets the silver bullet? Weak. I got a growler of Snake Pit Porter from Oaken Barrel despite my poor opinion of my last Oaken Barrel beer (the Epiphany the other day). It turned out to be pretty decent. Definitely not as good as some of the other porters I've reported on lately and not even the best southern indiana porter (Upland Bad Elmers is better). It had the typical sub-par porter downfall of a bit too much of a hint of "dirt" taste if you know what I mean. Not too bad though...I'll probably go back and get another growler of something there sometime. 2.9/5

Tonight Katie and I are going here: Bloomington Brewing Co.
I'll report back on my findings. Odds are we will end up there in June also.

2 comments:

milwaukeeclassic said...

I hate "dirt" stouts and porters.

milwaukeeclassic said...

I personally like La Chouffe that best of the happy gnome beers.