Brasserie V is the newer Belgian-focused gastropub in Madison. I think Barry has been there before. It is kinda on the pricey side (both for food and booze), but it is worth a treat every once in a while.
Today, we had:
Struise Mikkeller - This beer is a collaboration between the very excellent Struise brewers of Belgium and the supposedly excellent brewers of Mikkeller of Denmark (never tried their beer before) This beer is a Imperial IPA with 130 IBUs, which I think is the highest IBU beer I've ever had (Dreadnaught is 100 IBU). Surprisingly, it was not pucker-your-face bitter. In fact it was remarkably smooth. A good example of have a Belgian style ale can actually blend with the Double IPAs in a good way. 4.3/5
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Man, I've really come to like the imperial stouts. Black as oil. Very strong bourbon/alcohol smell. Very smooth and tasty. 4.2/5
Val-Dieu Grand Cru - run of the mill Belgian strong ale. 3.5/5
Smuttynose Baltic Porter - Carey had this one. It was quite tasty. It had no "dirt" taste as the 'bad' porters and stouts do. Tasty. 4.1/5
Jenlain Ambree - This was an OK French beer. That is almost an oxymoron. Copper colored and sweet. 3.4/5
1 comment:
Hey Duane....I really like this place. k AND i usually split a lunch and taste the beers. I have a Belgian with two "x's" in the name last weekend, billed as the hoppiest brew from Belgium. It was quite mild, but fairly delicious. It is a bit pricey, but a nice experience.
Post a Comment