Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Important temperature lesson learned

Does anyone know which beers taste better at warmer (not ice cold) temperatures? I need someone to school me because I have a feeling I drink most things colder than I should. The lesson was particularly true with this beer:
New Holland "The Poet" Oatmeal Stout. When I first opened it (ice cold out of the fridge) I thought it was ok, but as I've sipped it and it warmed up closer to room temp, it has become phenomenal. Then, when I was looking it up to post the link up above, I saw that they recommended letting it warm up first to bring the flavors out. Lots of coffee/chocolate flavors and very creamy but a thick creamy compared to a cream or milk stout which I usually think of as kind of a thin creamy-ness.
Rating: At 33degrees I'd say about 3.5/5, but sufficiently warm it is more like a 4.5/5. Enthusiastic thumbs up. This may make my sweet 16 list for June.

3 comments:

Barry said...

Chris,
Darker beers should definitely be served closer to room temperature. I also feel similarly drinking some BIG imperial/double ipa's. They tend to taste boozier, but more floral notes, spices, and hops are evident as well. I learned this while drinking a Dreadnaught in your backyard last summer. Damn that was fun. I am restless! I like sweet sixteen lists. I smell a newsletter.

피터 said...

I could not agree more.

I've noticed a big difference with Sposborth. Lately, I put a bomber in the freezer for 30 minutes. (I keep 'em in the cupboard.)

milwaukeeclassic said...

A lot of bottles actually have the temperature on them. I have a bottle that say 6-10 (degrees C). I think that generally speaking, the more complex and higher alcohol content, the higher the serving temperature.