Monday, March 3, 2008

More brewing pictures

First up, racking the Partial mash IPA to the secondary fermenter where it will peacefully sit for about the next 10 days. At this stage it tastes really solid. Especially considering that this is my first attempt at a partial mash. The current alcohol content is about 6.8 %! Chris, I made this beauty with two pounds of pure clover honey (and about 3lbs of malt extract and 7 lbs grains). Seems like a lot for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Honey has the lovely quality that it is fully attenuated during the primary fermentation, and thus the high alcohol content. If you zoom in on the picture you can see a greenish haze; this is because I dry hopped with one ounce of amarillo hops.
Barry this is my bottling bucket and bottling 'wand'. The black end piece is a valve; press the wand to the bottom of a bottle and the valve opens, lift the wand and the valve shuts. Very easy to use.

Tonight I realized that while racking and bottling, it is best to put towels beneath everything. I still think yeast starters are the key to good beer.

1 comment:

Barry said...

I am buying one prior to bottling. My steam beer is in the secondary fermenter with a small, energetic fleet of hops floating at the surface. My, what a wonderful world.