Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hop to it


Two Brothers Hop Juice. Before I get to descriptions, let me point out that the label of this beer features a pair of pliers squeezing out every last drop from a defenseless hop. In other words, Barry's dream beer brewing process. I think this is a beer all of us would like. Katie even liked it. Make no mistake, it is very hoppy, but stops at the very brink of the point where it ceases being an enjoyable taste for me. In other words, I wouldn't want it any hoppier, but as it is it is very good. There isn't much other flavor there...not much caramel, or honey or anything like that which I've become used to lately. It tastes exactly like it's named, no more-no less. Bright orange amber color, almost red. Smells fantastic. Smooth and refreshing. A good beer. I also like that it is 100.1 IBU's because that extra tenth makes all the difference. 4.2/5


PS...to our resident brewers, can anyone explain the Plato scale to me and its relevance to beer? For reference, this is a 22.7 Plato beer.

4 comments:

Barry said...

The last time I had this beer, it let me down. It drinks sort of uneven, if that makes sense. My beer journal recalls heavy notes of banana and papaya, but a "thin body" that didn't quite hold up. The label is awesome, as is the name. I was disappointed. I do recall getting bombed on this once. As for plato, no idea. I do have to say, you are coming up strong in your sampling Chris.

Chris Ferguson said...

I wonder if we had different years' batches? I didn't taste even a hint of anything resembling banana or any fruit. Interesting.

Barry said...

Perhaps, because I have really enjoyed some bottles previously. We shall drink this in June

피터 said...

Plato is a measurement of density. 1 degree Plato means that one percent of the beer is sugar by weight.