After we came back from the bierfestival, we stop by a well-known beer bar called Kulminator. Personally, I think the name is sweet.
Anyway, the place was pretty packed and I was pretty wasted by then. They have a beer list that is a mile long, with cellared beers. Deeming that over my head, I decided to just get regular beers.
We ordered just two beers, but they were both excellent.
Gouden Carolus Noel - This was a solid, strong winter beer
Struise Pannepot - This beer was outstanding. It poured almost black and was damn tasty. Maybe the best beer I've had in Belgium thus far until...
There were some other Americans in the bar who started talking to us after we let them see the beer list book. I guess they were from some bar in San Diego. In any event, the guy insisted that we try the beer he was drinking and we did.
2004 Westvleteren 12 - Supposedly the best beer in the world. And one that had been aged for 4 years. I'll have to wait until Monday to see how it compares to the fresh beer, but this was very, very good. It was remarkably smooth for a 10% abv beer. Best beer I've had so far.
4 comments:
It's 9 AM on a Sunday morning and I'm practically drooling at the thought of all these beers.
Aged 4 years?!
Maybe I should make a HUGE stout and have a 35th birthday tasting.
11:30 here....ditto Pete
I may brew a double ipa that makes your face turn inside out with its bitterness and hop infusion. I may call it Sour Inside-out Puckerhole Double IPA.
Remember back in the '80's when Joe Piscapo ruled tv, Iron Eagle introduced the world to Lou Gosset Jr as 'Chappy', and the USA and USSR had a good ole fashioned arms race?
I'm going to call my double imperial IPA, Hoppier than Barry's.
That's too bad to hear about the Dane - I love their Old Glory and Emerald Isle... and running the table!
Awesome. I'm going to the store and buying only Belgians today. Also, well done Duane for posting from the road...so much for the hiatus :)
Post a Comment