
Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic is hoppy and rye infused in a strange way that bubbles on the tongue and makes the mouth tingle. It's very odd. Pours to nice amber with a quickly dissipating head. The best way that I can describe rye is that it is bitter in the way that a hop would punch you in the kisser and a leather belt braised in bitter malts would finish you off. It's abrupt and very spicy. It's also tasty as hell. Abrupt, spicy, and very bitter... good for you.
4.2/5
7 comments:
Barry,
I'm going here next weekend:
http://shorelinebrewery.com/ontap.html
Where they have an Imperial Rye PA. Those sound like three descriptive words you would approve of. I'll report back.
Here's the way they describe it:
"Our commemorative 100th batch of beer, an Imperial Rye PA, using over 30 pounds of Amarillo hops. One pound of Amarillo hops added to the boil every 7 minutes, combined with over 20 pounds of dry hops added after fermentation. A huge malt backbone supports the large doses of the citrusy hops, as well as adding rye to the mash."
My god...I expect a detailed report
Enjoy
That sounds like a 6/5 beer for Barry.
I posted before reading your post on what rye tastes like. I look forward to discussing ingredients at SBF.
If I read that correctly they used 50 LBS of hops? Holy f---! Try to find out how many gallons they made in the 100th anniv. batch.
Maybe I can get a growler of it sometime right before beer fest.
Also, I'd like to rename all of Barry's posts: "Queer eye for the Rye Guy"
I actually meant to type "Beer eye for the Rye Guy"...Freudian slip
Either one is humorous
My posts may be MIA for a week
If so, detailed posts to follow
Post a Comment