Sunday, March 9, 2008

What condition my condition is in


First off, Lebowski Fest is AWESOME. Anyone who has the opportunity should go to one. It was a blast. Sold out, packed theater full of 2000 drunks yelling out all the lines and cheering whenever anything happened...this should be the only way to watch a movie you've seen a million times. I myself received a raucous ovation for running up on stage to "steal" the rug, which really tied the stage together, right before the film started because we'd forgotten to pack it back up.
As for my "this week in beverages" segment of the post, Friday consisted of multiple backstage Heineken and Amstels followed and intermixed with about a dozen white russians. I would deem all of them "excellent."
I went to the Floyd's brewery yesterday and was disappointed in the following ways
a) I got there at 11:15 and it didn't open till noon
b) After killing 45 minutes nursing a Starbucks down the street I returned to find the brewery tours are only at 3, and they don't have anything in bottles that I can't get down here (and it was more expensive there).
It looks like a fun place to hang out, and I would have liked to have sampled a few beers, but didn't want to be the guy who waits outside until 12:01 only to come inside and drink a beer by himself. I ended up getting a 22 of Dreadnought and a 22 of Behemoth because after waiting that long I had to get something, and because I don't think I've ever really actually tried a barleywine so I thought I'd give it a shot. Only after I left did I realize I probably could have gotten a growler of something cool, so I will do that next time. It's only about 10 minutes from Joe's house where I stay for most Steepwater related events, so I'm there pretty often. Which leads me to a question for you growler buyers: how long does beer keep (unopened) in a growler? Do you need to take it down in a day or two?
On the subject of growlers, after realizing I should have gotten one at Floyd's last night I picked one up locally from Upland and quickly dispatched it with Katie and some friends here. It was pretty good: Upland Bad Elmer's Porter. A solid 3.5/5 porter and probably my favorite Upland product, although apparently not well liked among the ratebeer "experts."

2 comments:

피터 said...

I'm jealous. If any of you guys comes across a 1 gallon growler, save it for me.

Chris Ferguson said...

do you want the half gallon ones too?